Skip directly to content

Small Business FAQs

How is a small business defined or categorized?

A small business concern is a business, including its affiliates, that is independently owned and operated, not dominant in the field of operation in which it is bidding on contracts and qualified as a small business under the applicable size standards in 13 CFR Part 121 (FAR 19.102). The size standard is based on the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes and is currently figured by either dollar revenue or number of employees. Click here to determine your company’s NAICS code(s).

What entity established the size standards within a certain industry?

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is responsible for establishing size standards for the different industries in the economy. Click here to determine your company’s size standard. (Additional business size standard information can be obtained from SBA's Office of Size Standards).

How can I contact a small business specialist in my state?

Please contact us at (703) 697-2868 for information on U.S. Army Small Business Specialists in your state.

What is the role of a small business specialist?

To act as an advocate to maximize small business opportunities in support of the mission of their organization.

How do I locate a small business in my area?

To locate a small business in your area, refer to the System for Award Management website.

Does Army offer business loans or grants to start or expand a small business?

Army does not offer loans or grants to begin or expand a small business. For loans, please contact the U.S. Small Business Administration or call 1-800-827-5722.

What is the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program?

The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program is a highly competitive three-phase award program which provides qualified small business concerns with opportunities to propose innovative ideas that meet the specific research and development needs of the Federal Government.